The 10 Most Famous Gamblers In The History of Casino World
The practice of gambling is not new and since ages, it has existed and entertained people in various forms. With time and advancement of technology, it has taken a novel shape. Traditional forms of gambling have been overshadowed with online and mobile casinos. Gambling has always attracted people across communities and genres and it’s been equally popular among the business class, celebrities and common people.
Few Notable Gamblers Who Excelled In This Field And Mastered The Art Of Gambling
1. Kerry Packer: Known as one of the richest gamblers in the world, Kerry Packer had been popularly nicknamed “King of Whales”. His distinct casino habits such as generous tipping to waitresses and extravagant gambling called for attention. While his loss in 1999 worth “USD 28 million” at a London based casino over 3 weeks made headlines, he also made some average massive wins of USD 7 million every day on UK holidays which cost the casinos heavily.
2. Archie Karas became famous with his enormous win at Las Vegas where he made a whopping USD 40 million in three years. He won hands down and defeated some of the best poker players. Subsequently, he won at nine ball pool and over the 3-year period is winnings exceeded the brief spells of loss. Soon after, he almost lost his fortune playing baccarat and craps, but there was a rewind when he hit the jackpot and made history USD 1 million wins.
3. Sheldon Adelson is another well-known American casino biggie who invested in casino properties and stocks. His net worth is estimated at USD 29 billion.
4. James Butler Hickok, better known as ‘Wild Bill Hickok’ was another casino magnate from America recognized for his versatility. He was a lawman, gunfighter and a war hero who is known to safeguard people from vice societal elements. A passionate gambler, he was shot dead at a casino and as he fell on the floor his hand revealed a pair of Aces and Eights, which later came to be termed as the “Dead Man’s Hand”. In 1979, James was honoured with the Poker Hall of Fame.
5. Edward Thorp: The man known for his innovative contribution to counting technique in Blackjack, Thorp was also a mathematics professor with a Doctorate in the subject. While playing blackjack, it occurred to him that every player could have an advantage over the house and there began his calculations. He eventually designed the card calculations system and the “formula to success” was revealed in 1962 in a book titled “Beat the Dealer”. This earned him a place in the Blackjack “Hall of Fame”.
6. John Montague was known for the long duration he spent at the gambling table. This lead to the invention of the sandwich. John would ask his servants to serve him meat packed between two bread slices so that he could continue playing without interruption.
7. Gonzalo Garcia-Peyalo discovered his passion in roulette. He increased his winning chances through the “wheel bias phenomenon”. He figured out that the roulette ball dropped on some numbers more than others due to faults in its physical make. He used this to his advantage and started his own line of casinos in Spain. However, the tricks at the table which he used to turn the house advantage in his stride earned him a bad name and he retired with USD 1.5 million.
8. Fyodor Dostoevsky was a novelist and a gambling addict. He authored the book “The Gambler” and “Crime and Punishment” which was inspired by the big losses he encountered to his addiction.
9. Dominic LoRiggio, better known as “The Man with the Golden Arm” developed the technique of rolling the dice at craps in a manner that would reap him desired results. He used this method to make big wins at several casinos. He conducts classes for those interested in learning his technique to win thousands of dollars at casinos.
10. Zeljko Ranogajec is a popular face in the gambling world and is known to spend USD 1 billion every year on it. He reportedly makes millions through sports betting and is currently said to have a net worth of more than USD 900 million.
Blog Name: The 10 Most Famous Gamblers In The History of Casino World
Posted On: 17/05/2018
Author: Shaun Allison